Owner, Principal since 1994
Richard Maffett is a 1974 graduate of Chambersburg Area High School. In 1978, Mr. Maffett earned his undergraduate degree from Indiana University Of Pennsylvania. He majored in Economics with a Pre-Law minor.
Richard Maffett earned his Juris Doctorate in 1981 from the Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. While at Dickinson School of Law, Mr. Maffett was a member of the Corpus Juris Society, the Student Council; and, was selected for an internship with the Dauphin County Public Defenders Office. During law school, Mr. Maffett was employed as a law clerk for State Representative R. Harry Bittle, in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
From 1981 to 1983, Richard Maffett served as an Assistant Public Defender in the Dauphin County Public Defenders Office in Harrisburg, PA. He defended hundreds of individuals charged with all types of crimes, including criminal homicide, drug delivery, rape, robbery, burglary, aggravated assault, theft; and, driving under the influence of alcohol.
In 1983, Mr. Maffett joined Francis Socha, Esquire in founding the partnership, Socha & Maffett at his present address. Socha & Maffett was a general practice of law, with an emphasis on criminal law, personal injury, workers compensation, real estate and complex business litigation.
In 1994, Mr. Maffett began his present firm, focusing on representing clients with cases involving workers compensation, personal injury, and criminal law. Mr. Maffett enjoys helping the underdog. In workers compensation and personal injury cases, he represents only the injured, not insurance companies. In criminal cases, Mr. Maffett's clients are those charged with a crime,
Richard Maffett handles all types of criminal cases. He has defended thousands of clients, in both state and federal court. He handles major crimes such as criminal homicide, rape, drug delivery, aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery, immigration fraud; and, child abuse. Mr. Maffett also represents clients charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, and assorted motor vehicle violations. He also defends minors charged with crime in juvenile court. He has been the lead counsel in over 50 jury trials. Mr. Maffett has litigated appeals before the Pennsylvania Superior, Commonwealth, and Supreme Courts; the Third Circuit Court of Appeals; and, the United States Supreme Court.
In Workers Compensation cases, Richard Maffett represents people in obtaining workers compensation benefits for work injuries. He helps injured workers, who the insurance companies have denied benefits, with their initial claim to get benefits. Mr. Maffett also helps injured workers whose economic well-being is at risk because petitions have been filed to terminate or modify their benefits. He also negotiates favorable settlements of a worker's right to benefits, called a Compromise & Release, when appropriate.
Mr. Maffett's clients in personal injury cases are people who have been injured in motor vehicle crashes caused by the negligence of another party. He represents his clients in all aspects of the claim, including: obtaining payment of medical bills and wage loss benefits; recovery of damages for economic loss and pain and suffering; and, in claims for uninsured and underinsured motorist benefits.
Richard Maffett is a member of the Dauphin County Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys; the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys; and, the Workers Compensation Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in all Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas, the Middle District of Pennsylvania, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals; and, the United States Supreme Court.
- Workers Compensation 30%
- Personal Injury 30%
- Criminal Law 30%
- Civil Litigation 5%
- Wills & Estates 5%
- Civil Business Litigation
- Traffic Violations
- Mediation & Collaborative Law
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos
- Pennsylvania, 1981
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas
- The Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Juris Doctorate - 1981
- Honors: Corpus Juris Society, Member
- Honors: Student Council, Member
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1978
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: Economics
- Minor: Pre-Law
- Chambersburg Area High School
- Miranda Warnings: When Are They Required & What Do They Protect, DWI Journal, Vol. 4, No. 8, 1989
- Pennsylvania v. Muniz, 110 S.Ct. 2638, 1990, U.S. Supreme Court
- Commonwealth v William Bradfield, 1989, PA. Superior Court
- United States v. Seigler, 2012 U.S.App LEXIS 10854, 2012, 3rd Cir.Ct.Appeal
- Smith v PennDot, 32 A.2d 890, 2011, Pa.Cmwlth.Ct.
- Pa. Dept. of Transportation v WCAB(Clippinger), 38 A.3d 1037, 2011, Pa.Cmwlth.Ct.
- Fletcher v WCAB, 1664 CD 2009, 2010, Pa.Cmwlth.Ct.
- United States v Kemp, 2006 U.S. App LEXIS 6284, 2006, 3rd Cir.Ct.Appeal
- Injured Workers
- Criminal Defendants
- A-P.I. Investigations, Inc.
- Eyewitness Identification, Shippensburg University, 2001 to 2001
- Criminal Law As A Career, Widener Law School, 2002 to 2002
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated Very High Legal Ability & Ethical Standards
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Workers Compensation Law Section, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member, 1989 to Present
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member, 1989 to Present
- Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas, Arbitration Board No. 5, , Chairman, 2011 to 2012
- Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas, Arbitrator - 2003-2004, 2007-2008, 2011-2012
- Criminal Justice Act Panel, Middle District of PA, Member, 1983 to Present
- Socha & Maffett, Partner, 1983 to 1994
- Dauphin County Public Defender's Office, Harrisburg, PA, Assistant Public Defender, 1981 to 1983
- Dauphin County Public Defender's Office, Intern
- State Representative R. Harry Bittle, in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, Law Clerk
- Midpenn Legal Services Pro Bono Program, 1988 to Present
- Silver Spring Township Zoning Hearing Board Alternate, 2009 to Present
- CVYBA Youth Basketball Coach, 2002 to 2008
Current Employment Positions
- Sole Practitioner
- Owner, Principal, 1994